For anyone who follows such things that involve the future of technology in civilization, they have most likely heard of Ray Kurzweil.
He’s mentioned and written about a very real probability that humanity will merge with tech treating it as a natural step in the progression of human evolution. He calls it The Singularity.
There are many questions that can be raised while doing thought experiments on the concept in itself.
- First: Would all of humanity be welcome in the digital paradigm shift? How many people would join permanently, how many would be intermittent, and how many would resist?
- Second: What would come of the psychological human condition? Individually as well as in groups?
- Would technological advancement continue on the same curve, or would the addition of humans that may have never been involved in development outside of the singularity change the course and aspects of how technology is developed?
- The Singularity may also arrive at around the same time that many jobs and careers are automated. Will civilization be prepared for the eventual financial bottom to drop?
- Is this becoming reminiscent of Star Trek’s Borg concept? Possibly.
I have many other questions, but these seem to be rolling around my head most often as of late.
Feel free to respond if you want, I would love some feedback and discussion.